Lehigh Canal
Coalport Lock
Upper Division
4/16/10
Looking upstream
There is an earth wall across the middle of this lock.
The lock connected the lower end of the Coalport Basin to the pool above Dam #1. Coalport was built as the transfer point between rail and boats after the upper division of the canal was destroyed a flood in 1862. The very large basin had three square piers for loading coal. Each pier could dock a canal boat on each of the three sides. The east side of the piers was connected by a bridge over the Lehigh Railroad to the railroad tracks where today's park road to Glen Onoko is now located. The top of the piers was at the elevation of this road.

Lehigh Canal
Coalport Lock
Upper Division
4/16/10
Upper end of lock looking from fill in middle.

Lehigh Canal
Coalport Lock
Upper Division
4/16/10
Lower end of lock looking from fill in middle.

Lehigh Canal
Coalport Lock
Upper Division
4/16/10
Upper end of lock looking from middle.

Lehigh Canal
Coalport Lock
Upper Division
4/16/10
View on upstream diagonal showing fill in middle of lock.